Saturday, May 23, 2009

June 25, 2005: Not so sweet in Hershey

And just like that, it's been three months since I've posted to this blog. And it's been since August since I actually posted an entry with what this blog was going to be about -- my Dave Matthews Band concert experiences. Since that time I've seen another show, so No. 17 is really No. 18 and No. 16 is No. 17. So now I'm on No. 15, which is really No. 16. And just to remind you, this is my ranking of DMB concerts I've seen, starting with the "worst" and working my way to the best. So, here we go...

On some message boards, people will have you believe June 25, 2005, is one of the worst DMB shows in recent years. Well ... I don't disagree. And in hindsight, my opinion hasn't changed. That's why this show at Hersheypark is so far down on my list. The next night, though, ranks much higher -- maybe I'll get to that in a couple of years. (I kid, I kid ...)

Here's a look at the setlist:
Hunger For The Great Light
Dream Girl
Hello Again
Granny
Crash
Bartender
American Baby
When The World Ends
Louisiana Bayou
Lover Lay Down
Smooth Rider
Stand Up
Dancing Nancies
Stolen Away On 55th & 3rd
Tripping Billies
_________________
You Might Die Trying
What You Are

The fact that this show was heavy in "Stand Up" material doesn't bother me. It was to be expected. But starting the show with three new songs like that were disappointing, especially with the "Hunger" opening -- far and away my least favorite opening ever. Part of what made this show disappointing for me was the venue. Hersheypark in the football stands is not a good place to see a show. (The show the next year in the "floor" seating area is a completely different story for a later time.)

This show had some highlights -- "Granny" did get the crowd going, but things just seemed too up and down the whole night. It was nice to hear "Lover Lay Down," and it's sad to see that song such a rarity these days. And I'm certainly not complaining about "Nancies" or "Tripping Billies."

The encore was a bit blah. "YMDT" at that time was weak -- fortunately that song has evolved into a pretty good live song and finds itself usually early on in a set. "What You Are" is an excellent closer if, and only if, the rest of the set is solid. I'll take it if the rest of the show is above average. But this show wasn't ...

This show was the first night of two concerts two nights in a row for me -- the first time I had done that. And I'm so glad I did. The next night was at Nissan Pavilion in Northern Virginia and ranks in my top 10. Like I said, I'll get to that show eventually. Next up, and only slightly better than this Hershey show, a weird night at the now-defunct Veterans Stadium.

No comments: